On this page learn how to get a new TCard if you are a student, faculty/staff, or visitor.
If you are a Student
- Check the Announcements for dates when you are eligible to pick up your TCard
- Check that your legal status in ACORN matches your records on your legal documents. To learn how to check your legal status on ACORN and what to do if your status does not match your documentation, visit the Find Your Legal Status in ACORN page.
- Have your Student Number or UTORid/JOINid, Legal Status & Identity Documents ready. To learn about required documentation, visit the Documentation Required page.
- Get your picture taken at a TCard office.
- Activate your UTORid. To learn more about activating your UTORid, visit the Activate Your UTORid page.
View the video below for a summary of the steps.
Note: School of Continuing Studies (SCS) Students are required to obtain a TCard Permission Letter from the School of Continuing Studies before visiting the TCard Office. You can request this letter directly from the School of Continuing Studies: TCard Permission Letter.
If you are Faculty/Staff
- Have your personnel number OR your UTORid, along with one piece of valid Canadian government issue photo I.D
or a valid Passport ready
- Visit any TCard office, or the Reader Registration desk on the second floor of Robarts Library (uoft.me/2K4)
- Activate your UTORid
Please note that the name in the HR records must match the name on your government documents.
There is no charge for your first TCard. Replacement Tcards are subject to a replacement fee. Learn more about replacement cards.
If you are a Visitor
Visitors, if you do not have a personnel number OR your UTORid and are not entered through the University of
Toronto’s Human Resources systems but you are required to have access to U of T services, including Library services,
you will need to provide a letter from a University of Toronto sponsor.
Visit Long Term and Short Term UTORids for more information.
Will you have difficulty standing in line for your TCard, for disability related reasons?
After the September rush, there are not many line ups. However, if for disability related reasons, you will have difficulty waiting or standing in the TCard line, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. We will book a specific time for you to come in and get your TCard so that you can be served right away.
You can also speak with staff at the TCard Office if you have arrived without making a specific appointment beforehand.
Thank you for helping us to help you!