Navi Mental Health Wayfinder

Replace Your TCard

Replace a lost or damaged TCard

You are responsible for the care of your card. If you lose or damage your TCard, the current fee for a replacement TCard is $20 CAD.

Damage can include use of stickers, hole punching, significant wear on the card within a short period of time, damage to the magnetic stripe or image.

If the card is defective through no fault of your own, the fee will be waived. This can only be determined by bringing your TCard to the TCard office where it can be assessed.

If you haven’t lost or damaged your TCard but want to replace it (e.g. to update your photo), you can obtain a new card if you pay the $20 CAD replacement fee. A new photo will be taken if your previous photo is more than two years old. Keep in mind that you won’t be able to review the photo before printing the new TCard. You’ll be asked to return your old TCard to TCard Services.

Steps to replace your TCard


Login to CLNx with your UTORid.


Select an in-person appointment for the relevant campus.


Attend the appointment.

  • Bring at least one piece of government-issued photo ID and be prepared to pay the $20 CAD replacement fee via debit or credit card (cash not accepted).
  • If your photo is more than two years old, a new photo will be taken.
  • If, for disability-related reasons, you’ll have difficulty waiting or standing in a line-up, be sure to let TCard staff know (either when booking the appointment or when you arrive).

Your new TCard will be active and ready to use for meal plan, library, building access and athletic services one business day after replacing it.

Once you have a replacement TCard, your previous balance will automatically be transferred to the new card. If you purchased a meal plan through your residence and experience difficulties using your TCard the next business day, contact your residence office for assistance.

If you find your lost TCard, but have already replaced it with a new TCard, you won’t be able to reactivate it. You may only hold one TCard at a time, as per the TCard Terms & Conditions.

If you don’t replace your TCard right away, you’ll need to:

  • Report your lost card to the library at 416-978-7694 or visit the circulation desk of any U of T library.
  • Deactivate your meal plan/TCard+ account.
  • St George/UTSC: Report your card lost via eAccounts.
  • UTM: Report your card lost to Hospitality & Retail Services.

Writing midterms & exams without a TCard

If you lose your TCard or don’t have your TCard with you, you can still write a midterm or exam. Refer to Exam Identification to find out what to do.

If you require proof of enrollment for any reason, you can generate a Confirmation of Enrolment Letter on ACORN.

Faculty who require student photos

Faculty members can also access the official student photo of students who don’t have a TCard by accessing class composite reports via ROSI Express (RXP) or requesting a copy of their class composite report from their registrar or department coordinator.

Change your name on your TCard 

To change your name on your TCard, you must first change your system name by contacting your registrar, business officer or Division of People Strategy, Equity & Culture contact.

Changes you make to your display first name via MyAuth will not be reflected on your TCard.

Once you’ve changed your name with your registrar, business officer or contact at the Division of People Strategy, Equity & Culture, you can also change your TCard. In order to avoid replacement fees, you must turn in your previous TCard.

You’ll need to bring valid government photo ID matching your legal name for identity validation only.

For more information on how to change your name/gender on ACORN/HRIS, get a new email, and other resources, visit the Sexual & Gender Diversity Office website.

Get a new service animal indicator sticker

Once you get a replacement TCard, you can request and pick up a replacement Service Animal indicator at:

For additional information, please visit the University of Toronto AODA Office website.