During the University closure, TCard Services is not issuing physical TCards. New, registered students will be able to obtain their UTORids and activation instructions over a video conference call with a TCard staff member. Students will be required to present valid (not expired) government-issued photo identification as listed in step 1 below.
Please see the home page for instructions on how to connect with us.
Once the University re-opens, students will be able to pick up their TCard upon presenting valid legal status documentation seen in step 2 below.
In order to obtain your online access (UTORid), you will be required to present documentation to validate your identity, Step 1:
Please review the Note About the Documents section to ensure that the documentation YOU present is appropriate for the purpose of issuing your TCard.
1) Validating Your Identity
The following is a list of identity documents we accept which must be valid, with a photo that is no more than 5 years old:
- Canadian Driver’s License
- Provincial Photo Card
- Nexus card (belonging to a Canadian Citizen)
- Certificate of Indian Status issued by the Government of Canada
- Permanent Resident (PR) Card issued by the Government of Canada
- Canadian Armed Forces Identification Card
Note About the Documents
- If you do not have the required documents, you will not be issued a TCard.
- All documents must be original. Copies (paper or electronic) will not be accepted.
- The photo in your government-issued photo identification card must be no more than 5 years old.
- Valid government-issued photo identification must be Canadian, otherwise a passport is required.
- The name on the document must be the same as the name in the University’s records systems. If there has been a name change, a marriage certificate or other documentation supporting the name change, must be provided to your registrar (+ valid photo identification), in advance of visiting the TCard office.
Once the university re-opens, you will be required to visit our office in person to obtain your TCard and provide documentation to validate your legal status in Canada, Step 2:
2) Confirming your Legal Status in Canada
Proof of Legal Status in Canada is required in order to begin your studies at the University of Toronto. Students whose Legal Status documentation does not match their status in the University’s records system will not be issued a TCard and will be directed to their registrar’s office.
Visit How to Get Your First TCard to learn about what YOU need to bring to the TCard Office.
If you are a Canadian you will need to provide both proof of your citizenship and identity through one of the following options:
- Option A: Valid Canadian passport*
- Option B: Your Canadian birth certificate** AND one (1) piece of valid Canadian government-issued photo identification*
- Option C: Your Canadian citizenship certificate or card AND one (1) piece of valid Canadian government-issued photo identification, or, valid international passport*
If you are an individual recognized by the federal government as being registered under the Indian Act, we will accept both the existing Canadian Certificate of Indian Status as well as the new Secure Certificate of Indian Status card (SCIS). The existing cards will still be valid until the expiry date has lapsed. Band cards are not accepted as proof of Indian Status.
**Long form birth certificates are accepted IF at least one parent is a Canadian citizen, AND this parent was not a diplomat, an officer or an employee of any other international organization with diplomatic privileges and immunities, at the time of your birth.
If you are a permanent resident of Canada, you will need to provide both proof of your permanent resident status in Canada and identity through one of the following options:
- Option A: Valid Permanent Resident Card *
- Option B: Record of landing (IMM 1000) AND one (1) piece of valid Canadian government-issued photo identification*
- Option C: Confirmation of permanent residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688) AND one (1) piece of valid Canadian government-issued photo identification*
If you are an International student, you must have immigration permission to remain in Canada for the length of your studies:
- You must show your Passport – (non-Canadian), including valid study permit.
If you are an international student studying at UofT for under 6 months, a study permit is not required. You must present your passport, along with your admission letter.
Need Help with Immigration documents or questions? Visit the Centre for International Experience at the St. George Campus, the International Education Centre at the Mississauga campus, and the International Student Centre at the Scarborough campus.
Note: If you are replacing your TCard, you will be required to present valid/not expired documentation as listed above.